Monday, May 28, 2012

Rookie Mistake

My mom's parents got here on Saturday and will be here for the next 2 weeks, so this week we are doing a few day trips to some different places, including a day in London tomorrow, and we are spending half of next week in Rome. Today, we decided to take advantage of the warm, sunny weather and drive an hour to Nottingham to see Nottingham Castle and some of the places where Robin Hood has been. Pretty exciting, right? Well, unfortunately the castle grounds and a few of the other places we wanted to go are closed on Mondays. Of course the opening hours was the detail we overlooked when planning this day trip...rookie mistake. By the time we went around to the places we wanted to see, we didn't have enough time to go to the places that were actually open because we had to get back home to pick Trey up from school. So...overall, it was an enjoyable day spent walking around downtown Nottingham* in the nice weather, we just weren't able to go inside the castle and museums. We were at least able to take pictures from the outside of the castle and museums, which I'll share on Facebook once we go to a few more places.

*Nottingham is surprisingly more developed than I thought it would be. I pictured a small, quiet town similar to the ones we've previously visited, such as Shrewsbury, but this was a well-developed city, just a few points shy of being to the caliber of Birmingham in my opinion. (Birmingham UK, that is).

Lesson learned: when planning a day trip, check the days and hours the places are open. and make sure you have ample time to go everywhere you want to go.

Currently reading: ...well, I'm still on the exact same spot in Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet as I was in my last post. I know...pitiful. my only excuse is that I've had a pretty rough cold for the past few days so I really haven't felt like reading much. Thankfully, I woke up feeling much better this morning so hopefully I've finally gotten rid of the cold.

looking forward to sharing about our trip to London tomorrow!

Grace and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment